Kodo Millet / Varagu / Arikelu / Koden Idli or Dosa batter
Each and every millet has its own taste & health benefits. Among all Kodo Millet / Varagu / Arikelu / Koden helps to lose weight,controls diabetes,reduces joint pains and much more. Even without using rice, these idli will be firm, spongy, soft and dosa will be crispy. The flavor will be awesome and will be as tasty as idli / dosa made of rice. You may feel a better taste too.
- Take all the ingredients given above except salt and wash them twice in water to remove the debris, if any. Soak it together for 4 hours.
- Take a big mixer jar / wet grinder and grind them in two batches adding enough salt & water. Adding sea salt will be of a better taste. Please do not add more water because they can be easily ground in less water.So use water only when needed.The consistency of batter should be like our regular idli batter. If the batter is too watery, u cannot make idli. Idli will be flat n sticky.If u add very less water,idli will be hard.So take care while adding water.
- Ferment it overnight or minimum 16 hours ( if it is winter).The next morning,batter would have raised in volume but not doubled.
- Stir the batter well with a ladle and make idli. Steam it in an idli pot for 10 minutes.Check with a back of spoon or using fingers dipped in water.If it comes out clean,idli is cooked.Remove with a spoon and serve hot with any chutney like coconut chutney / tomato chutney / coriander chutney / Mint chutney!
- No need to add rice in this recipe.
- Do not add more water while grinding, as you can add water if needed, after fermentation.
- Millet and Urad dal in 5 :1 ratio. For more softness, you can use at the ratio 4:1 depending on quality of dal.
- Adding Fenugreek / Methi seeds & Poha / Aval is for softness. Don’t skip it.
- Ferment the batter for 8 to 12 hours depending on weather.